Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a fertility treatment that involves placing processed sperms inside a woman’s uterus at the time of ovulation. The idea of IUI is to increase the number of sperm that reach the egg in the fallopian tubes and hence, increase the chance of fertilization.
IUI is a recommended for couples trying to conceive for at least one year with no success. IUI is recommended in the following cases :
- Unexplained infertility
- Mild Decreased sperm motility
- Mild endometriosis
- Mild Low sperm count
- Requirement of donor sperm
- Ejaculation and Erection dysfunction
Once your fertility specialist has established the root cause of infertility through standard testing, they may recommend IUI in the following situations:
- If the male partner is unable to produce healthy sperm or is unable to have sexual intercourse due to a physical or medical condition
- If there are problems with sperm count or quality (sperm movement, shape, or size)
- If the male partner suffers from impotence – unable to have or sustain an erection
- If the female is experiencing irregular or absent ovulation
- If the female has been diagnosed with a cervix-related disorder(unlike during sexual intercourse, in IUI the sperm does not come in contact with the cervix as it is placed directly into the uterine cavity)
- Same sex couples often opt for IUI with donor sperm
- IUI treatment may be the first recourse in case of unexplained infertility – when the cause of infertility cannot be established
What are the steps involved in the treatment of IUI?
In an IUI cycle, usually, the female partner is given drugs to stimulate ovaries. This is done to increase the chances of success with IUI. There will need to see an IVF specialist to monitor the ovaries to see the size of the follicles. When follicles are approximately 18-22 mm, a trigger injection will be given to initiating the process of ovulation. IUI is usually done 38-40 hours post the trigger injection.
Step-by-Step Guide of IUI Treatment:
- Ovarian stimulation by usually oral tablets to improve quality and number of eggs.
- Monitoring of follicular growth and endometrial development by ultrasound.
- Deciding the timing of insemination when is the egg is ready.
- Semen wash or preparation in the lab.
- Intrauterine Insemination with prepared semen.
Although the success rate of IUI is not so high, we are one of the Best IUI Centre in Jalandhar to perform it in a sophisticated and cost-effective manner.